Monday, July 27, 2015

The Beloved Mother Billy Goat

 My husband, my two children, and myself were headed into Gatlinburg for the evening for dinner. We were on vacation in Cherokee, NC, and had done all there was to do. We were just about to hit the state line when we realized we didn't have a travel letter (long story, we'll leave it for another blog post) so we decided to turn around ... it just so happened that we turned around at the turnoff for Clingman's Dome.

Here's where it becomes pertinent that I tell you that it was raining, 50 degrees, and the 4 of us were in shorts and flip flops ... and this was at the BOTTOM of the mountain. It's also important that you know that Clingman's Dome is the 2nd highest point East of the Mississippi, reaching 6,643 feet.

A Mad Wife, A Chipper Daughter, A Slow Husband, and A Miserable Son

By the time we pulled into the parking lot of the National Park, the temperature had dropped into the 40's, the wind was gusting so hard it looked like a hurricane ripping a shore to shreds. I was hesitant; ever the pessimist, I warned that we should come back on a sunnier day ... but my husband would not be happy but to see absolutely nothing from the top of that foggy observation tower. His (notice I said his) first stop, was in the gift shop for some plastic ponchos for our children. He raced back to the car with his new "rain gear" as if it beat the weather. Reluctantly, the three of us donned on our new apparel and began the trek up the mountain to the observation tower. 

Ever heard that phrase, "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."? In my opinion, I had been scorned! Walking VERTICALLY up that mountain, in flip flops, in the rain, isn't what I planned on doing that day but, by God, I was going to prove  my children and my husband wrong.  I would do it come hell or high water! (both legitimate possibilities at this point).

I began the walk at a brisk pace, one that you can't really maintain unless you have a fire under your feet ... I had a fire under mine. I would stop long enough to either see my husband and son or hear their voices and then I would begin again, there was NO way I was letting them catch up to me. With about a third of the journey under my belt, my rubber flip flops became too slick from the cold rain to continue to wear them, so I slid them off my feet and continued my journey barefoot (in 40 degree weather). 

I bet your wondering where the chipper daughter was in all of this since I have addressed all the other members of my family. My chipper daughter stuck by my side all the way up that mountain, whatever my pace was, she matched it ... and she was happy to do it. 

 I LOVE HER. 

Displaying IMG_20150701_182232133.jpgThe Observation Tower

The chipper daughter and I were the first to make it to the observation tower. It's a long, winding bridge, with a slow grade that eventually takes you to the view of a lifetime (even in the fog). I would love to tell you that I boldly marched up said bridge and looked out over the vast expanse to take in all the sights ... I would love to tell you that my fear of heights did not get the better of me, standing barefoot in the middle of that bridge. I really would love to tell you that. Sadly, I cannot tell you those things. 

What I can tell you ... I got halfway up that bridge ( a success for me) before I FREAKED out and practically crawled back to solid ground. Had my children not been there, I would have gotten down on all fours and kissed the wet soil where my feet once were. 


Beloved Mother Billy Goat


I'm willing to bet that you are sitting at your desk/lap top, tablet, or iPad, scratching your head trying to figure out why in the world I named this post 'the Beloved Mother Billy Goat.'
 I was freezing by the time we began our descent; we all were.  It was REALLY stinkin' cold that day. I sat at the bottom of the observation tower with Miserable Son, while Slow Husband and Chipper Daughter took in the sights for what seemed like hours (more like 10 minutes, but for dramatic effect, HOURS). I finally gave up hope and began the descent with Miserable Son in tow and left the other two thinking they had gotten their tongues stuck to a pole and that they would thaw out in Spring.  Eventually they caught up and the four of us headed down together. 

I was so happy, SO GIDDY to be getting off that mountain that I practically (in fact I did) skip, barefooted down the rather steep mountain all the way down to our car. On that day of misery, I became known as "The Beloved Mother Billy Goat" for my ability to not only climb mountains when I am angry but skip down them when I am giddy. My children still call me this, and I actually take pride in that nickname. It represents something hard that I did that I wasn't too happy to do. I showed my children that when you dig deep and put your mind to something (yes, that motivational speech) you really can do anything. True, I didn't go all the way to the tower ... but I'm seriously proud of myself for even climbing the mountain. Mission accomplished in my book! 

What is your nickname and how did you acquire it? Share in the comments below. Also, if you like this blog, please feel free to follow me on blogger, facebook, or twitter and share my blogs with your buddies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment