Monday, July 27, 2015

Your Baby Is Cute But I'll Stay Over Here

                                                            What Kind of Depressing Title is That

As children we are told to dry it up, stop crying, everything is fine; how does that translate into adulthood? 

It translates into adults thinking they have to carry the weight of their burdens by themselves because they think they have to be stronger than they feel. 

Why I Don't Want to Hold Your Baby

In September 2012, after over 2 years of trying; my husband and I found out that our dreams of having biological children would never be a reality. We were crushed. We sat around the house and cried for days (and ate pizza, lots and lots of pizza); once the shock wore off we slowly began to look at adoption. We thought our calling was to adopt infants from another country but the financial aspect of doing so seemed daunting to say the least; so we tabled our dream and continued on with life. 

In April of the following year we moved from Missouri to Tennessee to go to Graduate school, but Knoxville never felt like home. In November of 2013 we began the process of becoming Professional Foster Parents with an organization in our home town in North Carolina and we moved back home in February of 2014. We felt like Abraham and Sarah. Although we knew our plan was to adopt, we promised each other that we wouldn't adopt the first children that we met or that was placed in our home. 

We've had several children placed in our home but the two that God placed on our hearts and that we grew to love as our children are the two that we met first on the day we were moving in (funny how God works). I won't give you their names simply for the fact that we are working on new ones; they will be changed after the adoption is finalized. I will say that we have grown to love a beautiful, 10 year old girl with curly, strawberry blonde hair and a handsome, 8 year old boy with freckles all over his face. 


The sting and jealousy of infertility still creep up every now and then when I allow myself to think about the years that I've missed or the things that I don't get to experience. However, the joy that I get to experience with these two far surpasses anything that I could have planned or wanted for myself. My Father knew what He was doing when He said that my plans weren't good enough, that there was something better in store for my family. 

So, I don't want to hold a baby not because I'm a hateful old hag who hates babies or because I'm a witch who steals their souls ... but because I must guard my heart from the feelings that holding a baby inflicts on it. My family is complete, I have the children that God has promised me and I am happy; I don't want to tempt myself to be unhappy in the things that God has blessed me with. It's a human flaw, an easy trap to fall into to become unhappy with the blessings that we have; one that I have fallen victim to many times. I have learned, in my meager 26 years, to guard my heart from the things that make me jealous or angry.

Back To The Beginning 

It took a long time for me to be comfortable sharing this "shame" with people. People "more fertile" than us would ask when we were going to start "popping out" babies and once I got over the urge to throat punch them, I would ( as politely as possible) explain our situation to them.

 I was told as a child that everything was fine, that I needed to dry it up.  As an adult, I never learned how to depend on other people for support. I'm learning to do that now (whoopieee!) ... more importantly, I'm teaching my kids how to do it. Transparency is a huge component in my relationship with Christ, my husband, my kids and others and I believe they need to see it functioning properly in order to learn how to be transparent themselves. It's not easy and there are days I don't like to do it, but it's healthy; therefore, I'm going to do it for them. 

Your Turn

How do you promote transparency in your home? Are any of you brave enough to share you struggles/shame with us in the comments? I look forward to reading them. 






No comments:

Post a Comment